Sunday, November 18, 2007

Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Redux

The period before and after Thanksgiving represents the busiest travel time of the year. Amtrak throws additional trains on routes up and down the Eastern seaboard. Airports are clogged with holiday travelers. Highways become jammed as everyone tries to get out of here to go there to visit family.

As a society, we've wholeheartedly adopted the idea of migrating from one city to another, seeking fortune, experiences, or a fresh start. Many consider it de rigeur to travel far away from their home town/city/region for university, to travel from one "exotic" locale to another, or to live somewhere precisely because it's new and different. I am no different - I went to university in another country precisely because it was another country. In addition to Northern California and Canada, I've lived on the East Coast and in the South. With the exception of New York, I must say that I'm done living in the cities I've left, and would be happy with only visiting in the future. There are too many other cities I'd like to experience on an immersion basis - Seattle, Chicago and London come prominently to mind.

This week, I join the travelers. I fly to Philadelphia on Wednesday. The children and I will then board a train up to New York, and spend a long weekend in that city. They spent quite a few weekends there when I was living in Greenwich Village.

I hope that they get a case of fascination with exploring the world. I'd hate to see them go off to college in the next county, and stay in their little corner of East Bumf*#%. There's so much to see, and so much to do in the world, it'd be a shame to miss it.

No comments: