Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Loneliness - It's What's For Dinner

QIR discussed in a recent blog post her lack of appetite. She said that she enjoys cooking, but can't be motivated to eat.

I have something of the opposite problem: I am fine with eating, I enjoy the sensations associated with food, but I hate cooking these days. I am alone most nights, and can't be motivated to fix dinner. I find it pretty depressing to spend lots of time in the kitchen preparing a meal when I have nobody to share it with.

Most nights, I end up taking a mostly-prepared Trader Joe's something out of either the fridge or the freezer, putting it in the microwave, and taking it out five to ten minutes later. The net result is that I am likely getting way more sugar, sodium and fat than I probably should, and not nearly enough complex carbohydrates (read: veggies).

What's the solution? How does a bachelor get motivated to fix and eat better, healthier food? Inquiring minds want to know.

2 comments:

-qir said...

Maybe on those days when I come down I should make several days of food for you.

We both win! I get to cook, but don't have to eat it. You get to eat, but don't have to cook it.

You'd still have to rinse the dishes before putting them on the counter though...

frannie said...

just found you blog through the blogger "next blog" button.

I have a hard time cooking when it is just for myself-- maybe try to keep some fresh veggies around and fruits-- you can always snack on those with your dinner. won't make the dinner any better, but at least you will be eating better food with it.

or you could make some healthy soup and freeze it. one pot will last a long time.