Sunday, November 11, 2007

Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Bionic Woman, and Death and Taxes

Death and Taxes is back.

I'm in a new place - living by the Monterey Bay. I'm employed - doing more or less what I wanted to be doing. I'm a homeowner. My kids still live in East Bumblef***, New Jersey. Child the Elder seems to hate me - thanks, Ex. However, QIR is still wonderful, so positive points for that.

Life 1.0 (pre-law school) was an abject failure. Life 2.0 (post-law, pre-tax) wasn't much better. Let's see if Life 3.0 flies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, having beautiful kids, graduating from a great university and moving onto a nationally acclaimed law school is abject failure? Dude, you've got some serious standards.

Death and Taxes said...

The failure was nearly failing out of said great university, going into a dead-end job in retail sales, leaving it for a job in corporate sales that I couldn't manage and being demoted to a retail sales job worse than the first, and leaving that for a corporate job that I got shit-canned from. Three years of my life, wasted. Add to that a marriage that I should never have gotten into, and fucking that up. How is that not failure?

Unknown said...

If you were from the South, you wouldn't refer to it as "failure", you'd refer to it as your misspent youth. Doesn't sound to me like you missed out on any super-fabulous opportunities in the end (since you didn't fail out of said great university and didn't end up in dead-end jobs for the rest of your days). And, although the three years may have seriously sucked, I'm sure you have far better perspective on your life and what you want/need than before, which makes you a happier person and a far more effective lawyer.

I am of the opinion that people who have had to struggle through any sort of adversity, whether self-inflicted or not, are far more interesting, good at problem solving and more grounded than folks who've always had it easy. Though I could just be rationalizing the last three years of my messed up life (which I refer to as my hardship tour).