Thursday, May 01, 2008

School's Out

I taught a course this semester at a law school not too far from here. Classes ended last week, and the students are taking their exams. It's been quite an experience. I have heard people say that the first time you teach a course, you learn more than your students do. I'm not sure if that's true, but I've learned quite a bit. About the subject matter (a course in which I did quite well back when I was a student), about teaching, and about myself.

One of the things I learned was that teaching is much harder than it looks. It took me a good 6-8 hours each week to prepare for a 3-hour class. Add to that the 3-hour class itself, and 2 hours of driving to and from campus, and we're talking some serious time spent. And for all that, I think I made enough money to put gas in my car, and not much more.

We need to pay our teachers more, at all levels.

I'll fill everyone in on what I learned about myself in another post.

No comments: