Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Tuesday

The Presidential primary election comes to California tomorrow. After witnessing the depredations of the Bush administration over the past eight years, I can only hope that our next President will take a dramatic turn away from the pandering that we've witnessed.

I voted for Kerry in the last election. Although I have been registered as an unaffiliated voter since I moved back to California in 2000, I took a field trip on Election Day 2004, cutting class from the tax program in order to go door-to-door, canvassing for the Kerry campaign in rural Pennsylvania. I would like to think that, thanks to my efforts, the precincts I worked ended up voting approximately 60% for Kerry. It wasn't enough, of course, as Kerry was defeated through election-stealing in Ohio. Many people (mostly conservatives) say that a Kerry presidency would have been a disaster; I cannot say whether they're right or wrong, but I can say that I doubt such a presidency could have been worse than the second Bush term we got.

We're faced with a turning point. The nation can either continue down the path of fear, hatred, and domination, or it can turn to hope, acceptance and cooperation. I am hopeful that we continue the progress made in 2006, by electing local and state representatives that listen to their constituents, rather than lobbyists; by voting for people who are willing to listen, rather than condemn; by choosing leaders who embrace diversity, rather than shun it.

Election years are about hope. After eight years of despair from watching this nation's slide into oppression, anger and hard-heartedness, I am once again full of hope this year.

No comments: