Thursday, December 13, 2007

Three Non-Proverbs

May you live in interesting times;
May you come to the attention of those in authority;
May you find what you are looking for.

These are supposedly three Chinese curses, each more dire than the last. From what I've read, they're not really - the first record of the phrase "may you live in interesting times" apparently comes from the 1950s.

Nevertheless, as far as curses go, they're pretty potent. If you find what you're looking for, it often will cause you to live in more interesting times. Interesting doesn't mean better; it means more chaotic, less predictable, and more surprising. Does it get more interesting after you've found what you've been looking for? Is it because you now have what you didn't before, and the having creates chaos? Is it because you no longer have the structure of trying to attain the goal - to obtain what you're looking for? And the very notion of attracting the attention of those in authority... *shudder*

In my lifetime, I've gotten some of the things I'd been looking for. They definitely made my life more interesting. Some were good; others, decidedly not.

I'm good with the interesting for now, thank you very much. I don't need any more. I'm not sure I could survive it.

No comments: